Used Kitchen Equipment Vs. New Kitchen Equipment: The Benefits of Buying Used Restaurant Equipment
Successful restaurateurs rely on reliable kitchen equipment. Consider various factors before investing in high-value kitchen equipment for your restaurant and food service establishment, including size, capacity, maintenance cost, and business needs.
In this article, we discuss the pros and cons of new kitchen equipment, the pros and cons of used kitchen equipment, a list of used kitchen equipment you can purchase, and things to know before purchasing used refrigeration equipment. You will also learn more about the advantages of leased kitchen equipment, the types of equipment leases, and compare new equipment vs. used equipment.
New Restaurant Equipment
New kitchen equipment offers the latest features and needs less maintenance. Investing in new kitchen equipment can burn a hole in your limited budget, but you can offset the costs by purchasing multipurpose kitchen equipment. You can opt for combi-ovens instead of regular ovens, choose energy efficiency over the price tag, and look for manufacturers that provide an extended warranty. You can also compare various equipment according to their size, capacity, and performance.
Additionally, if you have a limited budget for equipment purchases, you can opt for used kitchen equipment for your restaurant and food service establishment.
The Pros of Purchasing New Kitchen Equipment
Here, we list some advantages of purchasing new kitchen equipment for your restaurant:
- Warranty: New equipment comes with a warranty that can protect you from unforeseeable repair costs. Suppose the equipment malfunctions under warranty, replacements and repairs are completely covered.
- Technology: Most new equipment comes equipped with the latest WiFi, Bluetooth, and Smart connectivity technologies.
- Maintenance: New kitchen equipment provide a trouble-free experience that eliminates the need for costly repair jobs.
- Energy Savings: New kitchen equipment is energy-efficient and consumes less power. You can save thousands of dollars in energy bills with new ‘Energy Star’ rated kitchen equipment.
Cons of Purchasing New Restaurant Equipment
- High Investment: The initial investment needed for new kitchen equipment is high, and may be detrimental to your restaurant’s growth.
- Depreciation: The value of new equipment depreciates immediately after purchase. Consider the depreciation amount before purchasing high-value kitchen equipment.
Used Restaurant Equipment
Buying used kitchen equipment can be a sensible and economical choice for newbie restaurateurs. First-time business owners can save thousands of dollars by opting for used kitchen equipment for food service establishments. Check used kitchen equipment thoroughly before purchasing to prevent unforeseen service-related expenditure.
Where Can You Purchase Used Kitchen Equipment?
You can purchase used kitchen equipment from used kitchen equipment dealers or distributors. Authorized dealers and online kitchen equipment stores test equipment before reselling them. You can also buy used kitchen equipment from restaurant auctioneers responsible for liquidating assets of closed food service establishments. Many restaurant auctioneering companies sell various kitchen equipment and supplies at heavily discounted prices. You can find great deals on cooking equipment, refrigeration equipment, kitchenware, and kitchen supplies. Most restaurant auctioneers employ trained personnel who check kitchen equipment before it gets listed for sale.
You can also buy used kitchen equipment from individual sellers from various sources. You can find kitchen equipment sellers on eBay, Craigslist, and social media channels. Many sellers offer heavily discounted prices on kitchen equipment but do your due diligence before buying used equipment from unknown sellers.
Here, we list some important things to keep in mind before purchasing used kitchen equipment:
- Research: Check the manufacturer details, model number, list of features, service history and requirement, and maintenance costs before purchasing used kitchen equipment.
- Test Equipment: Test the equipment thoroughly before purchasing it. You can bring along an expert for due diligence.
- Gas Vs. Electrical: Avoid purchasing used electrical equipment as they are prone to frequent breakdowns. You can opt for gas-powered cooking ranges and kitchen equipment for a hassle-free cooking experience.
- Check Refrigeration Equipment: Refrigeration equipment is prone to leakages and equipment malfunctions. You can bring an expert or service personnel who can identify existing or future issues with the refrigeration equipment.
- Longevity: Used fryers, ranges, and ovens last longer than other kitchen equipment.
Pros of Used Kitchen Equipment
Here, we list the primary advantages of purchasing used kitchen equipment:
- Economical: You can save thousands of dollars by purchasing used kitchen equipment. You can easily replace defective kitchen equipment with used kitchen equipment without breaking the bank.
- Reallocate Budgets: Used kitchen equipment will save you money. You can reallocate the saved amount for purchasing various essential equipment and supplies.
- Niche Purchases: You can experiment with your used kitchen equipment purchases with a limited budget. For example, you can opt for a traditional grill that will provide a niche grilling experience and be easy on your pocket.
Cons of Used Kitchen Equipment
There are some potential risks of purchasing used kitchen equipment. Here, we list the risks of buying used equipment:
- No Warranty: Used kitchen equipment comes with no warranty, leading to significant repair costs if the equipment fails.
- Limited Spare Parts: Used kitchen equipment models tend to have limited spare parts available, making it difficult to get them repaired.
- Maintenance Costs: Used kitchen equipment has higher maintenance and repair costs as they break down more frequently than new equipment.
A List of Used Equipment You Can Purchase
Depending on your needs, you can buy various used kitchen equipment for your restaurant. Here, we list some essential used kitchen equipment that can be on your purchase list:
- Gas-powered Equipment: Gas-powered equipment provide a hassle-free experience. They are less prone to breakdowns compared to electrical kitchen equipment.
- Ovens and Ranges: Ovens and ranges are ideal for resale, and they have a longer lifespan than other kitchen equipment.
- Tableware: You can purchase used flatware and glassware that are designed for frequent usage. You can choose from a wide array of restaurant-grade dishes, glasses, condiment baskets, and salt and pepper shakers.
- Small Appliances: You can purchase used pans, pots, kitchen utensils, blenders, and essential small appliances at discounted rates.
- Fryers: You can purchase high-quality used fryers for your restaurant and food service establishments. Fryers are long-lasting equipment that is ideal for second-hand purchases.
Things to Know When Buying Used Refrigeration Equipment
Pre-owned refrigeration equipment is more economical than new refrigeration equipment. Follow the steps mentioned below to find the perfect used refrigeration equipment for your restaurant:
- Measure Your Space: Measure the available space in your kitchen before making a purchase. Measure the length, width, and depth of the kitchen area where you plan to place your refrigerator.
- Price: Used refrigeration equipment comes in various price ranges. The price of used refrigeration equipment can vary due to age, features, cooling capacity, size, service-related issues, and other factors. You can work with your pre-determined budget and look for models that suit your business needs.
- Inspect: When purchasing used refrigeration equipment, bring along an expert for inspection. You can inspect the unit for age, coldness, smell, door seal, and thermostat.
- Transportation Costs: Commercial refrigeration equipment tends to be heavy. Consider the cost of transportation before finalizing a piece of equipment. Most sellers charge extra for transporting heavy refrigeration equipment.
Advantages of Leasing Used Kitchen Equipment
You can lease used kitchen equipment instead of purchasing them. Many resellers and companies lease out used kitchen equipment on weekly or monthly payment terms. You can save on working capital by using leased kitchen equipment. Service and maintenance of leased kitchen equipment are covered by leasing companies, which can help you save on repair costs. You can also buy the equipment at the end of the lease period.
Types of Equipment Leases
Here, we list the types of equipment leases that you can avail for your restaurant:
- Lease to Own: You can lease kitchen equipment with a buyout option at the end of the lease period.
- Seasonal Leases: Seasonal leases are ideal for restaurants that go through periodic increases in revenue in a year. You can pay the lease amount during high-revenue periods.
- Quarterly Equipment Leases: Quarterly payment leases have higher interest rates and payments.
New Kitchen Equipment vs. Old Kitchen Equipment: Which One to Purchase
Brand new restaurant equipment costs more upfront than used kitchen equipment. Thoroughly checking and testing old kitchen equipment will pay more dividends over the long run. Here, we list some essential factors to consider while choosing used kitchen equipment over a new one:
- Budget: Consider the budget for your equipment purchases. If you have a limited budget, opting for used kitchen equipment makes more sense.
- Type of Equipment: Gas-powered equipment is more reliable than electric-powered equipment. Used gas-powered equipment will run seamlessly for years.
- Application: Spend more on the significant workhorses in your kitchen; you can opt for a new refrigeration unit or oven, depending on your needs.
Used kitchen equipment can provide more value than new kitchen equipment purchases. Make sure to thoroughly check for existing issues, service history, and pending issues before purchasing used kitchen equipment. High-quality gas-powered used kitchen equipment is more reliable than electric-powered kitchen equipment. You can purchase used kitchen equipment from online stores, resellers, restaurant auctioneers, and individuals. You can also sign up for the latest deals and updates regarding used kitchen equipment for sale. Prevent wrong purchases by checking with an expert before purchasing any used kitchen equipment. It will save you money and future service-related hassles.